5.20.2011

London Calling

Yesterday I finished up my Metro regional meet, qualifying to the Ontario High School Championships in both the 1500m and 3000m distances, however I have decided to drop the 1500 and focus solely on the 3000m for OFSAA.  Doing the 1500 and 3k would mean that I would most likely end up with 3 races in 3 days, (1500 prelim, 1500 final, 3k final) whereas now I only have one race to prepare for.  Even though I am dropping the 1500m at OFSAA, I will still be running a few more before the season is out, looking for a new PB.  Wednesday's race went quite well, as I ran 4:03.36 for 2nd on a windy day.  I did have a few guys to push the pace for me, taking us through right on 4:00 pace through 700m.  A gap opened up between the first two and myself, but I managed to catch one of them at the line with a 46 closing 300m.  The winner was right around 4:00.  In the 3k, I ran 8:55 feeling strong throughout the race.  I split 2:55, 2:59, 3:00, giving me a feel for the pace I will be trying to hang on to in Tuesday's 5000m.  It is the second stop on the 401 series of distance races, and I hear it is quite the stacked field.  For one, Canada's top marathoner Reid Coolsaet will be racing this as a tune-up for his 10,000m at the Prefontaine Classic, which would make one assume that there will be other equally-stud-like men for him to race against.  These men should be in the vicinity of 13:40-14:00, and if they decide to send all the 5000m runners off in one heat, my primary goal will be to not get lapped.  This should equate to a sub-15 minute time, which would be the Pan Am 5000m "A" standard.  Of course this is much easier said than done, but for now that will be the plan.  I'll let you all know how things unfold in London!

No comments:

Post a Comment