8.13.2011

Alaska

Last week I departed from the Motherland, and landed in Alaska well before my University training camp in order to tour a little bit of the state with my family.  As I mentioned in the previous post, we were to spend one week in Wasilla and one in Homer before heading back to Anchorage, where I will be going to school.  So, where do I begin?  Oh yeah, the airport!  Fun stuff always happens at the airport.  That day, the airport excitement began when our first flight was delayed by half an hour, and with a connecting flight waiting in Philadelphia, it was shaping up for an exciting sprint for the awaiting gates at the opposite end of the airport.  It was only a couple minutes before the gates were closing that I saw a couple of figures in the distance absolutely hauling it down the hallway.  I then realized that it must have been my family who had been waiting for their bags.  I really wish I had a watch ready, because I'm almost certain my dad dropped a sub-60 second 400 with sandals and a suitcase to get to the gates with seconds to spare.  In the end we all made it, and our excitement was over just in time for our 7 hour flight.  Then, the next thing I knew I was in Wasilla.  Where Sarah Palin lives.  It's a pretty small town, and I figured it wasn't too big of a long shot to see her at the grocery store or driving around town.  Until I found out she was in Iowa.  Not cool Sarah Palin, not cool at all.  But other than that, Wasilla was really cool.  There were mountains absolutely everywhere.  And animals too.  One of the big concerns I had when I visited Alaska was the bear population, and being in a relatively wooded area, I was sure a bear was going to jump out at me while I was running.  I decided I would stick to the gravel path alongside the only road close by, and run up and down that road all week.  The first day, I decide I would keep my run very relaxed and low-key to flush my legs out after the long flight.  6:30/mile pace was where I hoped to start off, but with fear of bears occupying my mind, I proceeded to start off with my first two miles each in 5:40, before somewhat settling down towards the end of the run.  I didn't actually see any bears at all in Wasilla, but I did see some moose-s? meese? as well as bald eagles and unbelievable amounts of salmon spawning in the streams.  All these animals were awesome, but there was one animal that wasn't awesome.  Basically every house had a guard dog that barked and barked and barked and barked and barked and chased me down the road until I reached the next house with a dog.  I think these dogs sort of adopted the road as an extension of their property, which didn't make it very fun for me.  But now they have nobody to chase! I left Wasilla 2 days ago, driving to Homer.  I heard good things about this place all week,  and it has lived up to expectations so far.  From what I've seen so far, it seems like a small fishing town with lots of old fishermen sporting bad-ass beards.  It's really scenic too, as the entire town is built on a hill overlooking the inlet, with no shortage of mountains and glaciers.  However, I hear that there are plenty of bears all over the place, so I've elected to do all my runs this week on a spit that goes 7km out into the ocean, where I don't need to worry about bears or a lack of scenic views.  And that's basically all I've been up to the past few days.  Just chilling in Alaska.  Get it? Chilling...Alaska?  AHAHAHA...ahaha...ah...never mind.  It's a good thing I picked up running, because I wouldn't have made it far as a comedian.  But for real, 18 C in Alaska beats 30+ C in T.O. any day.

So basically, what I'm trying to say is if you're searching for a spot to take a vacation, definitely consider Alaska.  It's awesome!  There really are no other words for it, just awesome.  Go see for yourself if you don't believe me! And if you do believe me.

On a separate note, I figured I should probably be taking a few pictures here and there to share a fraction of the awesome-ness of Alaska with my fellow readers, so I'll be posting some pics for you all to see.  It's a good thing that I'm in Alaska actually, because this is one of the only places I've been to where you only need to know how to click the button on top of the camera to produce postcard worthy pictures.  And you can keep clicking that button everywhere you go, because the scenery is endless.  I can't even imagine how amazing these pictures would be if they were taken by someone who knew a thing or two about photography.

Click Here to see a few of the pics I took

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment