10.11.2011

Getting Chilly

This is a first for me, below zero by the beginning of October.  For about a week now, I've woken up to frost on car windows, frozen puddles in the parking lot, and a lack of morning sun.  When I got here in the beginning of August, the sun was still up after 10:30, but for 6 weeks or so, we've been consistently losing about an hour of sun each week.  The walk to my evening lab is getting darker, and the walk back home is pitch black.  I think the sun is setting somewhere around 7:00 now, and it's usually not up until 8:15 or so.  Last week the Seawolves travelled south to Washington for our last invitational of the year.  It was definitely nice to get a break from the cold weather, and a great chance to run fast!  It was a 10k for the men and 6k for the women, the longest one of the year, but that wasn't enough to stop the Seawolves.  The men and women were 1st in the team score, as well as pulling off the individual men and women titles.  In 2 weeks, it will be GNAC time where we will begin our post-season racing on the path to the National Championships.  Until then, we'll be putting in some heavy work up north.  Still no snow up here but it certainly isn't far off, and I've got my winter gloves all ready for some serious snowball fights as soon as the white stuff falls.  So I guess the cold weather in Alaska has it's ups and downs, but there is one thing I'm really not liking up here.  Our apartment has a T.V. with about a hundred channels (twice as many as I had at home), leading me to believe that I would have access to roughly twice the hockey coverage.  Not in the USA however.  It's all football, football, football.  Don't get me wrong here, I enjoy watching a football game or two on Sunday, but if it's not accompanied by a leafs game on Saturday night, something's up.  Let's get real here, winter is not nearly as fun if you can't cheer for the good ol' blue and white!  As a loyal fan, of course I've been keeping track of the scores online and I do believe they are rocking a perfect record at the moment, but the lack of live hockey is making it tough to follow the soon to be 2012 Stanley Cup champs.  Yeah, that's right, I said it!  This is the year!  Or maybe next year, or the next.  Either way, this drought is bound to end one of these years.  Do you beLEAF?

2 comments:

  1. Go Leafs Go!

    Try NHL Network. Usually they show hockey night in Canada in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you running GNACs/Regionals?

    ReplyDelete