5.13.2011

Somewhere in between Good and Bad

Now that blogger is up and running again, I can resume my ramblings of the high school distance running circuit. So where do I begin?  Ah yes, my high school regionals were held over the past couple days, and I really don't know how well (...or not well) they went, so I'll let you judge for yourself.  I ran the 1500m on the first day, which was supposed to be a very hard effort although I wasn't expecting much in the way of competition.  As it turns out, the wind had different plans for my race.  My goal of running under 4:05 was now thrown out the window, and it turned the race into a battle against mother nature.  I was on 4:07 pace through 1km, but let the pace slip big time in the last 500m to end up at 4:13.  It's difficult to tell what I would have run in good conditions, but for now a win is all that matters.  The second day had an 800m and 3000m for me, once again with wild winds and almost no help up front.  I led the 800m through in 60 followed by a 64, once again not really making a big statement in that race, but it was good enough to win by a solid margin.  Due to the lack of cooperation from the wind yesterday, my coach and I decided to make the 3000m a tough run, in search of a fast first 1500m to get the feel of sub-8:40 pace, then easing off for the last bit of the race.  And fast it was!  One of the runners decided he was in 7:45 shape, and led us through in 31 seconds for the first 200m...but by the first km, his sprinting turned to a trot, and he finished over 10 minutes.  Anyways, I was looking to hit 4:19 for the first 1500, and after taking control of the pace, I did just that.  I went 4:19, 4:37 to end up in 8:56.  This was probably the best run of the meet for me as it felt nice and smooth, despite the big positive split.  Next up is the Metro Championships on May 18-19th, where I will run the 1500m and 3000m.  And after that, I will be getting ready for my 5000m debut in London!

No comments:

Post a Comment