6.21.2011

Change of Plans

This past weekend went well at 1500m night.  As expected, there were a few big breakthroughs for a handful of guys and girls this year.  Among the notables, Rob Denault managed to run 3:45 mostly on his own, and a bunch of the other high schoolers got down into the low 3:50 range.  I came in with a 3:58.72 PB, and left with a PB of 3:58.27.  We had a pacer who led us through 800 in 2:07, which was a little slow considering we were 28 at the 200 and 61 at the 400, but nonetheless it was good to get someone else to run up front and let me tuck in behind.  I was hoping that I would end up in the 3:56 range, as I am certain that my fitness is way ahead of last year, but at the same time a PB is a PB, and I can't complain about that.  But, my coach and I have decided to change things up a bit.  Originally, the plan was to try and hit the 5000 A standard, and try to snag a ticket to Pan Am Juniors at nationals, however being 31 seconds off the standard with only 2 more weeks left in the qualifying period makes it a little improbable, but not impossible.  Additionally, the 1500m specific work that we've been doing over the past few weeks is another reason to scrap the old plan and go hunting for some PBs. We're aiming at a 1500m on the 30th, a 3000m on the 6th of July, and another 1500m to close out the season on the 13th.  None of this is set in stone quite yet, and it may turn out that I can't even get into a few of these races, but that's the plan.  I also have a series of ball-buster workouts on the horizon, so that should give me a real good idea of how the next few weeks will turn out.  I should probably get back to studying. I have 3 more exams left, and I can't wait to scribble correct answers all over them!
I've been taking some tips from Mr. Bean, I should be fine!


P.S. The video of my 3:58 in London can be found by clicking here

No comments:

Post a Comment