6.13.2011

Mediocrity at it's finest!

Another mediocre performance in the books, and I'm just trying to break the mold.  I was 4:02.97, and even though it was meant as a tune-up for next week, I thought I had a good shot at going sub-4.  The upsides of Saturday were that I ran in lane 2 most of the race, and finished 6 seconds faster than I did at the same meet last year, the week before I broke through with my 3:58.  I'll be running the same meet this year, and I'm ready for a new PB.  I mean, 3:58 is so last year!  And so is 8:42, but let's just take things one step at a time.
I had a great idea last week, allow me to elaborate.  With the summer heat upon us, 30+ degree days are soon to become the norm.  Last year, mother nature got the best of me, and running went way downhill by the beginning of July.  I closed my season out prematurely last year, after running 4:10 and a 2:07 800m relay split.  But this year, I'm prepared.  No matter how hot the weather gets, and no matter how bad I feel on my runs, I will have the upper hand this year.  Mother nature gave me a taste of what she had in store for this summer a few days back, and I shrugged it off like when a ladybug lands on your shirt and you frantically scream and swat at it to get it off.  I found a secret river deep in the North York Jungle (Sunnybrook Park), that will now be my primary method of defense against the heat.  How, you ask?  Well, this week I went on a run with a buddy from school in 32 degree heat, leaving us pretty gassed by the halfway mark (or at least I was).  We continued to sweat our brains out for a few more miles until we hit the jackpot.  An operating water fountain (very rare in Toronto), and a river!  We drank a gallon at the water fountain, and went for a swim in the river.  It was actually cold enough to give me goosebumps, thus defeating the heat (Like the Mavs)!  I plan on spending many of my summer days cooling down in this river post-run, so bring it on mother nature!

1 comment: